What is Account Based Marketing?
Account Based Marketing is a Business Strategy through which you’re laser focussed on clients/companies that you have already identified as a good fit to buy your product and services. It means you don’t waste resources filling your funnel with bad leads. In simple words, Account Based Marketing helps you to segment audiences so you can refine your approach better.
- Increased ROI – According to the survey conducted by the Information Technology Services Marketing Association (ITSMA), Account Based Marketing delivers the highest Return on Investment of any B2B marketing strategy or tactic.
- Personalized To Your Customers – 75% of customers prefer personalized offers. This has been shown time and again to be true as a result email marketing remains most successful compared to other forms of marketing. Account Based marketing allows you to personalize all of your messaging and content to a specific set of audience.
- Analytics And Goal Setting Are Easier: Since you are looking at a smaller set of Targeted campaigns, which lets you effortlessly compare results to your forecast goals.
How to Use Account Based Marketing on Different Platforms?
Now, let us discuss how account based marketing works on different platforms to generate more relevant leads.
1. Google Ads
Well, the Answer is Customer Match. It lets you use your online + offline data to re-engage and reach your users across different networks like Search, Shopping, Gmail, Display and YouTube networks. So basically, you can target users on the basis of their Google accounts (if you have their information), so only your ideal account based marketing prospect list sees your advertisements.
Setting Up Customer Match List
To set up a Customer Match list in Google Ads:
- Create a list in Google Ads under Audience Manager.
- Upload the data file containing user contact information. Also, it is important to note that the list size should not be larger than 17MB (approximately 500 email addresses.
- Once your audience list is created, you can use it in the targeting of your campaigns. If the campaign is already set up, click audiences on the left-column menu. If you’re setting up a new campaign, go to the audience section and select either targeting or observation.
- Click browse and then select remarketing and similar audiences -> Custom audience.
- Select the audience and hit save. You can target RLSA, Gmail Ads, video ads and shopping ads with this list.
You can create a simple customer match campaign with no additional layers using Facebook. Let’s see how it’s done.
- Navigate to your audiences from business manager and choose Custom Audience:
- Click on Create Customer File under the Custom Audience Section.
- Select your file type and then upload it. Please note that when uploading your own file, you will have to upload as a CSV or can copy and paste it in:
- Next, to be sure that the data is read properly by the Facebook system. If not, be sure to edit by selecting the drop-down highlighted below:
Once done, you will have a target account list to serve ads across the Facebook platform.
With Contact Targeting, you can upload a list of personal as well as professional email addresses to match against the LinkedIn members. One can upload up to 300,000 contacts.
- For uploading a list in Linkedin, choose Matched Audiences from the Tools menu.
- Now click on Upload a List.
- Now select “Create an audience” under “Target a list of accounts,” and you’ll see a dialogue box where you can name your email list, select the option -> Match based on a list of email addresses,” and then go ahead upload your CSV.
In Linkedin, it is recommended to have at least 300 contacts (maximum 300,000). Also please note that larger lists may have better match rates.
- Next, Upload a CSV file which includes the email lists. The minimum list size required is 300 people.
Also, there are few CSV requirements mentioned below for the sheet to work:
- The sheet format must be .csv.
- Sheet’s first column should be tagged as “email” with one email address per row. I have shared an example of an email list below.
Once the list is created, you can go to your campaign targeting, find the “Target a list of accounts” (as seen in the screenshot below).
Next, click the “See full list” option to see the list of the audiences you’ve created and select the one you want to use -> save the campaign, and the targeting/list will be applied.
Just like all the platforms mentioned above, Twitter also offers advertisers to upload their email lists. Use lists to target users by uploading all the email addresses of the users via a list or use Twitter usernames to target all the relevant influencers. You can follow the steps mentioned below to upload the list:
- Navigate to audience manager from the tools navigation menu item
- Under create new audience tab select upload your own list
In your list (which can be either .csv or .txt file), you can include email addresses, twitter usernames, twitter user IDs, mobile advertising IDs, and mobile phone numbers.
- Name your audience, select your data type (like email addresses, phone number, twitter username, etc), then upload and create your audience.
- Once the list is uploaded, you can add it to your campaign by clicking on a tailored audience -> search/browse your list and hit save.
The minimum size to be usable in campaigns is 100 Twitter users. If your list is under 100 Twitter users, it will show as “Audience too small” and will not be used for targeting by the system.
Remember to test, evaluate and optimize your account marketing campaigns to make sure they are successful. You can also view the results of individual campaigns and the trends in the account to get a more precise picture.