Google revised mobile-first indexing deadline is coming near in the next few weeks. Google stated that it will be going 100% into mobile-first indexing. The company shifted the deadline from September 2020 to March 2021. Google’s John Mueller states today that March 2021 is an approximate deadline.
Here Are The Tweets
That's approximately the target. We don't have a critical reason to reach any particular cut-off date, so it could be that the remaining sites are a bit spread out, some earlier, some a little bit later.
— ? John ? (@JohnMu) February 23, 2021
So this might mean some may be moved over 100% prior to April 1, 2021, and some may running behind and move over after April 1, 2021. If the site is moved to the mobile-indexing and it has the issues mentioned below then the site rankings in Google most likely will change. Here’s a list from Google that you should check between your desktop version and mobile version of your site:
- Robots meta tags on the mobile version
- Lazy-loading on the mobile version
- Be aware of what you block
- Make sure primary content is the same on desktop and mobile
- Check your images and videos including
- Image quality
- Alt attributes for images
- Different image URLs between desktop and mobile version
- Video markup
- Video and image placement
So be ready, which I believe most of you are and most of your sites are already moved over to mobile-first indexing. But if not, then be ready.