Google releases a new product reviews search algorithm update which is designed to reward product reviews with in-depth research. To clarify it is not a core algorithm update that impacts all search results. This update particularly targets product reviews.
Google Search is always working to show the most useful and helpful information possible, through testing, experimenting and review processes. From this, we know people appreciate product reviews that share in-depth research, rather than thin content that simply summarizes a bunch of products. That’s why we’re sharing an improvement to our ranking systems, which we call the product reviews update, that’s designed to better reward such content.
Websites that publish product reviews should consider their traffic carefully for anything that is out of the ordinary. This update as of now only affects English-language search results.
Product Reviews Update Impact On-Site?
This new update focuses on giving users the right content that provides insightful analysis and original research. Google focuses on giving more priority to the product reviews by enthusiasts or professionals who understand the topic well. Review your content fairly.
- Express expert knowledge about products where appropriate?
- Show what the product is like physically, or how it is used, with unique content beyond what’s provided by the manufacturer?
- Provide quantitative measurements about how a product measures up in various categories of performance?
- Explain what sets a product apart from its competitors?
- Cover comparable products to consider, or explain which products might be best for certain uses or circumstances?
- Discuss the benefits and drawbacks of a particular product, based on research into it?
- Describe how a product has evolved from previous models or releases to provide improvements, address issues, or otherwise help users in making a purchase decision?
- Identify key decision-making factors for the product’s category and how the product performs in those areas? For example, a car review might determine that fuel economy, safety, and handling are key decision-making factors and rate performance in those areas.
- Describe key choices in how a product has been designed and their effect on the users beyond what the manufacturer says?
The recommendations mentioned above are associated with Google’s goal of giving rewards to the most useful product reviews. Website owners now need to publish insightful analyses of the products having comparisons to similar products. It seems like Google is now paying close attention to if a review offers details that are beyond what actually the manufacturer provides.