Google is now moving all websites over to mobile-first indexing. The company states that 70% of the websites have already been shifted and the remaining 30% is expected to be moved to mobile-first indexing by the end of September. Google confirms that all the websites will be moved to mobile-first indexing by the end of September as soon as they get ready.

Moving websites to mobile-first indexing will lead to an increase in Google’s bot crawling specifically from the smartphone user agent. Users can check the status of the mobile-first indexing in the search engine console as shown in the settings page and also in the URL inspection tool.

Recommendation: Google Ads Mobile App Updated With New Features And A Dark Mode Option

Major things to be considered when optimizing for mobile-first indexing

  • Metadata is similar on both the versions
  • The Mobile version and the desktop version have the same on-page content
  • Structured data is similar on both the versions

Users can check both the mobile and desktop versions of a page through the Google URL testing tool to make sure visitors and Google can see similar content on mobile and desktop. Google recommends not to use m-dot as they cause confusion and problems for search engines and users. The focus should be on creating a responsive web design for better mobile-first indexing.


Leave a Reply



That answer every ifs and buts of digital marketing

Stay ahead with deeper understanding of the trends and up-to-date marketing tactics; all tried & tested in the ever-growing digital space.

Looking to
Achieve your Goals?

Let us help you
get there!

We're a digital agency focused on
creative and results-driven solutions.

Start With
Submit Form Below