Instagram has decided to fight against the fake accounts and bots by asking the identity from the account holders. If the account holder fails to submit the identity, their post may receive less distribution or if there is any kind of failure in ID check, it may lead to permanent account disable.
“We want the content you see on Instagram to be authentic and to come from real people, not bots or others trying to mislead you.
Starting today, we will begin asking people to confirm who’s behind an account when we see a pattern of potential inauthentic behavior.
By prompting the people behind accounts to confirm their information, we will be able to better understand when accounts are attempting to mislead their followers, hold them accountable, and keep our community safe.”
Instagram is not questioning all the account, only the account with some odd behavior are asked for identity. There are some signals to check account behavior.
Some signal includes:
- Accounts potentially engaged in coordinated inauthentic behavior.
- When a majority of an account’s followers are in a different country to their location.
- Accounts showing signs of automated activity.
If Instagram finds something inauthentic, it will ask the user to confirm the identity. Instagram just wants to know the real person linked with the account, it does not have anything to do with the real name and profile name. Once the account is verified it will work as a normal account until re-verification is needed..
List of Ids
Instagram has provided with the list of Ids that can be submitted. These are:
- Birth certificate
- Driver’s license
- Marriage certificate
- Official name change paperwork
- Personal or vehicle insurance card
- Non-driver’s government ID (example: disability, SNAP or national ID card)
- Green card, residence permit or immigration papers
- Tribal identification or status card
- Voter ID card
- Family certificate
- National age card
- Immigration registration card
- Tax identification card
Full name and photo or full name and age proof must be mentioned on the Id submitted for verification.