Facebook is the most used social networking site in world and advertising on Facebook is the most effective and best way of getting leads. But what most important is getting the right audience at the right time for which you need have good idea of how you can target and about various options available of targeting.
Here we are going to have a good overview of all targeting methods in Facebook with which you’ll have clear vision of how Targeting in Facebook works.
Various Targeting Methods
- Custom categories
- Age group
- Narrow (and or conditions)
- Customer list
- RemarketingLet’s see following targeting methods in details
Detailed targeting is a targeting option available in the “Audience” section of ad set creation that allows you to refine the group of people we show your ads to. You can do this with additional demographic information, interests and behaviors.
- These detailed targeting options may be based on:
- What people share on their Timelines
- Apps they use
- Ads they click
- Pages they engage with
- Activities people engage in on and off Facebook related to things like their device usage, purchase behaviors or intents and travel preferences
- Demographics like age, gender and location
- The mobile device they use and the speed of their network connection
Various Behavior features
- Anniversary– shows ad to people whose anniversary is in 61-90 days.
- Consumer Classification– shows ad to people based on your country.
- Digital Activities– shows ad to people who areConsole Gamers
Operating System Used-
Primary OS Windows 10-People who primarily connect to Facebook using Windows 10.
Event creatorsFB Payments (All)FB Payments (Higher than average spend)FB Payments (Recent)Facebook Page AdminsInternet Browser UsedPhoto uploadersPrimary email domainSmall business ownersTechnology early adopter
Plays 0 out of 7 days
Plays 1 out of 7 days
Plays 2 out of 7 days
Plays 3 out of 7 days
Plays 4 out of 7 days
Plays 5 out of 7 daysPlayed game in last 14 days
Played game in last 14 days
Played game in last 3 days
Played game in last 7 days
Played game yesterday
Technology Late Adopters – People who access Facebook on older devices or operating systems before Windows 7, Mac OS X or Windows NT 6.2.
- Expats– shows ad close friends of people of specific behaviour.
Close Friends of ExpatsExpats (All)Expats (Argentina)Expats (Australia)Expats (Austria)Expats (Bangladesh)Expats (Belgium)Expats (Brazil)Expats (Cameroon)Expats (Canada)Expats (Chile)Expats (China)Expats (Colombia)Expats (Cuba)Expats (Dominican Republic)Expats (Egypt)Expats (El Salvador)Expats (Estonian)Expats (Ethiopia)Expats (Finland)Expats (France)Expats (Germany)Expats (Ghana)Expats (Greece)Expats (Guatemala)Expats (Haiti)Expats (Honduras)Expats (Hong Kong)Expats (Hungary)Expats (India) – People from India whose current country of residence is outside of India.
- Mobile Device user– shows ad to people for specific brands.All Mobile Devices by BrandAll Mobile Devices by Operating SystemAll mobile devicesFeature phonesNetwork ConnectionNew smartphone and tablet ownersPrimary Android Device is Ineligible for 360 MediaPrimary android device is eligible for 360 mediaSmartphone OwnersSmartphones and tablets
Tablet Owners – People who connect to Facebook using a Tablet
- Multicultural Affinity– shows ad to people of African-American, Asian American, etc.African American (US)Asian American (US)Hispanic (US – All)Hispanic (US – Bilingual)Hispanic (US – English dominant)Hispanic (US – Spanish dominant)- People who live in the United States whose activity on Facebook aligns with Hispanic multicultural affinity and primarily use Spanish.
- Purchase behaviour– shows ad to people who are engaged shopper.
Engaged shopper – People who have clicked on the Call-to-Action button “Shop Now” in the past week.
- Seasonal and Events– shows ad to people who are following fall football (US).Fans of 1 or more TeamsFans of 3 or more Teams- Fans of 3 or more Teams
- Travel– shows ad to frequent travellers, international travellers, etc.All frequent travelersCommutersFrequent International TravelersReturned from trip 1 week ago
Returned from trip 2 weeks ago – People whose activities on Facebook suggest they returned from traveling within 2 weeks.
- Education– shows ad to people with specific education level like1. Education Level
graduation, post grad,
Some high school – People who indicated their highest education level as Some high school
2. Fields of study
4. Undergrad Years
- Generation– shows ad to
1. Baby boomers,
2. generation X
3. Millennials- People who were born between 1982 and 2004
- Home– shows ad to people searching for household composition
1. Family-based household
2. Housemate-based household- People living in Households made up of one or more people who are not immediate or extended family members
- Life events– shows ad to people whose anniversary, birthday, etc. are arriving.1. Anniversary within 30 days – People with a relationship anniversary (Marriage, Domestic Partnership, etc…) occurring within the next 30 days.
2. Anniversary in 31-60 days
3. Away from home.
4. Away from home town
5. Birthday month
6. Upcoming birthday
7. Friends of
7.1. Close friend of men with birthday in 0-7 days.
7.2. Close friend of men with birthday in 7-30 days.
7.3. Close friend of people with birthday in 0-7 days.
7.4. Close friend of people with birthday in 7-30 days.
7.5. Close friend of women with birthday in 0-7 days.
7.6. Close friend of women with birthday in 7-31 days.
7.7. Friends of newly engaged
7.8. Friends of newly wed
7.9. Friends of newly moved- Friends of people who have reported buying a home or moving in the past 30 days
8. Long distance relationship
9. New job
10. New Relationship- People who have updated their profile with a new relationship in the last 6 months.
- Parents– shows ad to all parents1. New parents
2. Parents with toddlers
3. Parents with preschoolers
4. Parents with preteens
5. Parents with early school age children
6. Parents with teenagers
7. Parents with adult children- Parents with children 18-26 years old.
- Politics– shows ad to people who areLikely To Engage in Politics (Conservative)Likely To Engage in Politics (Liberal)Likely To Engage in Politics (Moderate)US Politics (Conservative)US Politics (Liberal)US Politics (Moderate)US Politics (Very Conservative)
US Politics (Very Liberal)- People in USA who have a very liberal political affiliation
- Relationship– shows ad to people who are
1. Interested in Men, Women, Unspecified
2. Relationship Status
2.1. Civil union
2.4. Domestic relationship
2.6. In a relationship
2.7. Married- People who listed their relationship status as Married in their Facebook profile
- Work– shows ad to people who are
2.2. Architecture and administrative
2.3. Arts, entertainment, Sports and media
2.4. Business and financial Operations
2.5. Cleaning and maintenance
2.6. Community and social service
2.7. computer and mathematics
2.8. Veterans- People who were previously employed by the US Military
3. Job titles
- Business and industry– shows ad to people whose interest is in
5.1. Investment banking
5.2. Internet banking
5.3. Retail banking
8.1. Fashion design
8.2. Graphic Design
8.3. Interior design
12. Health Care
13. Higher Education
15. Marketing- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Marketing
- Entertainment– shows ad to people whose interest is in
1. Games- Action games, Board games, Browser games, etc.
2. life events- ballet, bars, concerts, dancehalls, music festivals.
Concerts- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Concerts
- Family and relationship– shows ad to people whose interest is in
7. Weddings- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Weddings
- Fitness and wellness– shows ad to people whose interest is in1. Bodybuilding
6. Physical Exercise
7. Physical Fitness
9. Weight training
11. Yoga- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Yoga
- Food and drink– shows ad to people whose interest is in1. Alcoholic Beverages
1.2. Distilled beverage
1.3. Wine2. Beverages
2.2. Energy drink
2.4. Soft drinks
2.5. Tea3. Food
3.4. Organic food
3.5. Fast food
3.7. sea food
3.9. Vegetarianism- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Vegetarianism
- Hobbies and activities– shows ad to people whose interest is in
1. Arts & music- Acting, crafts, dance, drawing, drums, fine arts, guitar
2. Current Event
3. Home & garden
3.1. Do It Yourself
3.4. Home appliances
3.5. Home improvement
4. Pets – birds, cats, dogs, fish, horses, Pet food, etc
5. Political and social issues
5.1. charity and causes
5.2. Community issues
5.10. Volunteering- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Volunteering
6.1. Adventure travel
6.2. Air Travel
6.4. Car Rentals
6.10 Vacations7. Vehicles
7.3. Electric vehicle
7.10 Trucks- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Trucks
- Shopping and fashion– shows ad to people whose interest is in1. Beauty
1.1. beauty salons
1.4. hair products
2.1. Children’s clothing
2.2. Men’s clothing
2.4. Women’s clothing
3. Fashion accessories
4.3. Discount stores
4.4. Luxury goods
4.5. online shopping
4.6. Shopping malls- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to Shopping malls.
- Sports and Outdoor- shows ad to people whose interest is in1. Outdoor Recreation
1.5. Horse back riding
1.7. Mountain biking
1.8. Surfing2. Sports
2.1. American football
2.2. Association football
2.3. Auto racing
2.5. Basketball- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to basketballs.
- Technology– shows ad to people whose interest is in
1.1. computer memory
1.2. Computer monitor
1.3. Computer processor
1.4. Computer server
1.5. Desktop computer
1.6. Hard Drives
1.7. Network storage
2. Consumer electronics.
2.1. Audio equipment
2.5. GPS- People who have expressed an interest in or like pages related to GPS
4. Custom Categories
Facebook Categories– all categories of Facebook ad campaign.
- Everyone in this location
- People who live in this location
- People recently in this location
- People travelling in this location
6. Age Group
You can select people from 13-65+ age group
Select your desired language based on which you want to target audience.
8. Narrow (and/or conditions)
You can select people with multiple demographics or you can put options in between.
You can exclude people based on their demographics, interest, and behavior.
10. Customer List
Customer list is the saved list of customers. You have to save an audience before you can use it for another ad set. To do so, just create the audience and click the Save This Audience button at the bottom of the “Audience” section of ad set creation.
Process of reaching to customers who have once visited or clicked your services and products.