A website is a useful marketing tool that works for your business round the clock. It is a platform where your business can communicate with audiences. You can use your website in many ways like your product advertising, sharing your work, blogs, about the work that interests you, or just enhancing your online presence. To grow your business, an important step would be to launch a website. This way you can increase your business presence. It might look to be a tough task, but once you get started it might be easier for you. There are many tools to create a proficient website and that would fit in your budget as well. These tools would help you even though you do not have a web design experience. This article lists you with the steps you require for preparing to launch a new website. Here, we discuss the following aspect:
- The steps that you need to take care before you launch a website
- The steps that you need to take care after launching the website
Checklist Before You Launch A Website:
Before you introduce visitors to your website, you need to take care of the following things:
- Select A Website Builder – Once you are ready to launch a website, the first step that you need to make a decision is where you would like to build it. There are various website building platforms you can see in the online market. Each of these platforms has various templates, features, and design abilities. Before you select a website builder, consider your teams and your skill level. In case you have knowledge working with HTML, it is ideal that you opt for a platform that provides you with more flexibility to manually code a few site elements. But, if you are afresh to website design domain, it would take the considerable time of yours to work with HTML code, hence you should go in for a platform that provides you many drag-and-drop editors and pre-build templates. This would be an easy way to customize your website design and that would fit in your requirements.
- Domain Name For Your Website – A domain name helps to identify your business online. Hence it must be chosen carefully and easily identifiable, fit into your brand, and easy for anyone to remember. You should check the availability of the probable domain on social media platforms as well. By using the same name across all the available platforms, you can establish an integrated brand and be able to improve on its reachability. Once the domain name is set, you can purchase it using a registrar or directly through your website builder.
- Select A Web Hosting Provider – Your website should reside somewhere. That is where a web hosting provider gives you. A web hosting provider provides the various technologies and services that are required for a website to be observed on the internet. This is important to launch a website as websites are stored on servers, a special computer. There are plenty of companies like hosting foundry who provides the best web hosting service around the globe. You can imagine the hosting foundry as a digital landlord where your website along with its content resides. When your website keeps growing and generates more traffic, you require more bandwidth, many other tools, and extra security for the same. In this scenario, your hosting provider would help for the same. Most of the website builders or domain registrars provide hosting services as well that can be of great use in case you are just getting started.
While choosing your web host provider, you need to check with the following two features that are very important.
- An XML Sitemap – This is an essential feature and it’s a list of distinct pages that make up your website. It displays the page URL, the date when the page was last updated, and the importance of each page in the overall website structure. Search engines make use of the XML sitemap to find and index all your website elements.
- An SSL Certificate – Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a security protocol that provides an encrypted and safe connection that is established between their web browser and your website. You would have noticed a URL starts with https:// as a replacement to HTTP://, then your SSL certification is in your action. Having an SSL certification helps to ensure that when any data like the login credentials, contact form, or credit card information gets submitted through your website it is secure.
- Website Design – You should think about various ways as to how to launch a website. For this, you need to have a proper website design in place. You can make use of a pre-built template that is given by your site-building platform or you have chosen to create a custom-coded solution. In either case, a well-defined goal must be set for your website design and its every page must be clearly defined. When audiences visit your website for the first time, they should be able to get a gist of what you are doing and about you. Ensure that your website brings into line with your existing business aspects where your audience can recognize it like imagery, branding, or colour. Also, you need to consider the various web page elements that are required for your business operations. Here are a few website design ideas for various website kinds.
- In case you are a blogger, ensure that your posts are arranged properly in the front or at the centre that will provide visitors to share it on any social media platform.
- In case your website is to sell any products or services, you need to include fascinating product pages that would attract visitor’s attention and inspire them to purchase.
When visitors are not able to find what they require in your website, they would come out from your website and go to the next one of your domains. One such fact that you should ponder on is that most people spend very little time, maybe less than about 15 seconds on any website. Hence, when you design a website, you should ensure that your website is easy to travel around and attractive. Before you launch a website, be sure that your website takes care of the following features:
- Mobile Responsive – A mobile responsive website is very important and is designed to view your website on any device like computer, laptop, smartphone, or any other device. Currently, almost 52% of website traffic comes from mobile phones. For this reason, having a mobile responsive website is very important and a must for any business to have a web presence. Most of the website builders provide templates that are mobile responsive so that you can use it to build a website that meets the audience’s requirements.
- Accessibility – Yet another factor to be considered while launching a website is its accessibility. This indicates that anybody who visits your website from any background, they should be able to be involved with your content. A website with greater accessibility to all potential visitors would create a better user experience and this way you can increase your audience. Few things to keep in mind to build your website is:
- Include alt text on your images so that the audiences would get an idea of what messages your image conveys to the audiences.
- Makes use of contract colours so that the audiences who visit your website can tell the difference between background, text, and various other page elements.
- Include appropriate headers using H1, H2, H3, etc. that would help the audiences to understand the website structure and the importance of each headline.
- Each of your links should make sense, even though it is read out of context. Ensure that your link contains good information about the link and where it takes the audience to.
- SEO Basics – Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a procedure that helps to increase your website visibility through various search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing. For launching a website, SEO is very important to get more visibility for your brand. So, keep in mind the SEO elements when you launch a new website. Below list a few SEO elements that would help you to easily include in your website that would also improve your search ranking:
- Keywords – People usually search on the internet using few words. Those words or phrases are called keywords that they use to look for certain information they require. When you include the keywords on your URL and other web content, it would be easier for search engines to locate your website and would suggest it for searchers. Various tools for keywords are there that would help you with it. These tools would help you to find the most popular search terms and to get the right keyword for your business.
- Title Tag – An important SEO element is the title tag. It plays a main role to communicate the webpage purpose on your website to the visitors and the search engines. It helps to find out the website headline that gets displayed in the search results when it is shared on social networks and the browser tab when someone visits the website.
- Meta Description – This SEO element provides a small summary of your webpage. It is present below the clickable title tag that appears on the search result page. So, this description should be catchy and be able to convince the audiences to click on it.
- Internal Links – The internal links are the links that would point to other website pages. These links are helpful for search engines to find out your website’s structure and its page hierarchy. It also makes the navigation of your website easy.
- Original And Superior Quality Content – Search engines prefer to provide relevant and useful content for their users. For this, websites should be updated regularly with a unique and readable content. These would rank higher in the search results than the websites that are not updated regularly or when the content is plagiarized.
- Include Email Signup On Your Website – Yet another checkpoint to launch a website is to include email signup. Whatever business type you execute, email marketing is a great way to create and preserve a relationship with your audience. When you include a signup form on your website, you will be able to get email addresses from your audiences. When you have your audience’s email id, they can become your customers. So, you can connect with them and share updates about your content, products, services, etc. that would interest them.
- Perform Test – For the successful launching of a website you need to perform a proper test. As your website is the first interaction with your audience, you must impress the audience. Hence, before you launch a website and show it to the word and get visitors, you need to ensure that everything works fine on it. So, look at the following:
- Check Your Website On All Browsers – Your website should look good wherever the audience accesses it. Whether it is from Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari, and other mobile or desktop browsers. You need to check all the page elements whether it is displayed correctly across all the browsers.
- Perform Speed Test – The website loading time has a huge impact on the audiences to stay on your website. The slow loading speed depends on having big images on the web page, plugins, or superfluous web page. On executing a speed test, it determines what causes your website to slow down.
- Check Your Links – When there is a broken link on your website it creates a bad experience for the visitors. Ensure that you link either internal or external works fine.
Checklist After You Launch A Website:
- Link Your Website To Google Analytics – To know your website performance, you need to get connected with Google Analytics that will tell you the website performance and the way visitors engage in your content.
- Submit Your Website To Google Search Console – This is an important point to launch a website. Google Search Console is a useful tool to understand the website’s performance. This will tell you the way your website is shown in the Google search result.
- Website Marketing – You need to start marketing your website for greater visibility. The following ways would help in your marketing:
- Promote your website on all the social media platforms
- Provide incentives to increase website traffic and to get new signups
- Send a postcard
Once all the things are in place, you are good to go with the launching of a website. You need to ensure that the website platform best fits your goals and requirements.