What is Remarketing?
Remarketing, as the word suggests, is a way to target people who have already visited or taken action on your website. It allows you to display ads to those customers who have visited your site or used your mobile app. The google ads remarketing code that you implement on your website places the cookies on the browsers of people visiting your website and then serving ads to those with that cookie.
The main objective of remarketing in AdWords is to find the people who have shown sufficient interest in your products or services to visit your website. These people are more likely to convert compared to people who have not yet been to your website thereby, increasing the probability of conversion.
How Does it Work?
Let’s understand how google ads remarketing works with the help of an example. Visitors who are looking for SEO/digital marketing services to advertise their business may go to our website: Technians.com to browse the services available, however, many visitors leave without converting (contacting us via Chat, Phone Call, Contact Us form Submission). Knowing that the visitors are potential customers, we can tag them as “site visitors”.
This will then allow technians.com to deliver an advertisement to the tagged “site visitors”. You can also segment visitor groups on the basis of the pages they visited to show them highly-relevant ads and increase repeat visits to your site.
Ways To Remarket In Google Ads
|Standard Remarketing||It allows you to target your past visitors as they browse websites, apps on the Display Network.|
|Dynamic Remarketing||With this option, you can show ads to your past visitors with any products or services that they viewed on your site.|
|Remarketing For Mobile apps||Targets those people who have used your mobile app or mobile website and will show ads to them when they use other mobile apps or are on other mobile websites.|
|Remarketing Lists For Search Ads (RLSA)||You can target and show ads to your past visitors on the Search Network while they search on Google and Google’s search partner sites.|
|Video Remarketing||Serve ads to people who have engaged with your YouTube channel or other videos. You can use this option to show ads on YouTube or Display Network videos and websites.|
|Email List remarketing/Customer Match)||It uses the email address of your customers to show ads to them if they are signed in to Google Search, Gmail, or YouTube.|
Thus, the networks that you can use to remarket are Gmail, Youtube, Apps, Remarketing List for Search ads and Display network.
Minimum Remarketing List Size Required Within Last 30 days To Show Ads
|Search||1,000 active visitors/users|
|Display||100 active visitors/users|
|Youtube||1,000 active visitors/users|
|Gmail||100 active visitors/users|
Why Is Remarketing Important?
- Greater Potential To Turn A Casual Visitor Into A Paying Customer: While 90% of the visitors leave without converting and 49% of visitors browse a site 2-4 times before they make a purchase/convert. So don’t let your valuable customers go and re-engage with your customers and lead them back to your site.
- Attract Your Competitors Customer: Most companies use remarketing to target their competitors’ customers. With google ads remarketing, you show up on a visitor’s browser after they have visited your website or searched for a particular keyword. This means you can target people who’ve visited websites that are mostly related to your product including your competitors. Great marketing strategies help you reach your target audience and uplift your customer base.
- Increases Your Conversion Rates: As it regains visitors by showing them ads on other websites, mobile apps, etc you can create custom messages which attract visitors to revisit your website and complete a purchase. It is important to note here that people coming back to your website for a second, third or fourth time are more likely to convert, because they have already seen your websites, so your products/services are more familiar to them as compared to other visitors. When well used it can up-shot in more efficient use of ad spend, better conversion rates, and ultimately, better ROI.
Let’s Get Started With Creating A Remarketing List:
- Login to your Google Ads accounts and Go to the Audience Manager.
- Now Go to the Audience list and Click on the +Sign. You will see the following options:
As you can see above there are 5 options:
|Website Visitor||People who have visited the Website or Landing page.|
|App Users||People who have downloaded the app.|
|Youtube Users||People who have interacted with your channel or videos.|
|Customer List||List of customer data that you’ve collected.|
|Custom Combination||A list created from multiple existing remarketing lists.|
Let’s focus on creating a list for Website Visitors first.
- Name your list and select the Tag Source. Now select the type of visitors from which you’d like to create an audience. As mentioned below there are 5 options.
- Visitors Of A Page– You can use this in order to drive sign-ups for people who didn’t take the desired action.
- Visitors Of A Page Who Did Not Visit Another Page – used for people who viewed product pages, but no ‘purchase pages.’ This is only for the ‘Display Network.’
- Visitors Of A Page Who Also Visited Another Page – Targets people who are looking through your site, maybe comparing different product variations. It is important to note that it is only available for the Display Network.
- Visitors Of A Page Who Also Visited During Specific Dates – It lets you target people who visit your website when you are running a special promotion. An example here would be: you may experience traffic spikes during certain ‘events,’ like Valentine’s Day or Christmas. You can easily build a list of these people using this feature and target them.
- Visitors Of A Page With A Specific Tag – In case you run remarketing campaigns a while ago and have different ‘remarketing tags’ for different pages, this is the right option for you.
Select the option as per your goal and provide the page URL that matches what you are trying to achieve.
Creating App User List
To Create An App User list, the process is the same. The only difference is that with the list visitors which includes 3 options to select the app users you want to target as mentioned below:
- Took specific actions within an app
- All users of an app
- Used an app lately or hasn’t used an app lately
Next, you need to select the app and create an app action.
List For YouTube Users
To Create a List for Youtube Users, you can choose the audience that you want to include in the list from the options mentioned below:
- Viewed any video from a channel
- Viewed certain videos
- Viewed any video ad from a channel
- Viewed certain videos as ads
- Subscribed to a channel
- Visited a channel page
- Liked any video from a channel
- Added a video from the channel to a playlist
- Shared any video from a channel
After selecting one of the options, select the youtube channel.
Creating Customer List
To Create a Customer List, the type of customer data that you can upload are:
- Upload Emails, Phones, and/or Mailing Addresses
- Upload User IDs
- Upload Mobile Device IDs
- You can either use a template or create your own CSV file with customer data using a combination of required column headers as mentioned below:
I am also sharing a few formatting guidelines that might be helpful while creating a CSV file:
- All identifiers for each/one user record must be comma-separated. Different user records must be separated by the UNIX newline character i.e \n or a line break. Please note they cannot be separated with space or a semicolon.
- Headers should only include Email, Phone, First Name, Last Name, Country, Zip, and Mobile Device ID(Incase You have multiple mailing addresses, email addresses or phone numbers for a single customer, your file can include multiple columns of Email, Zip and phone number.
- A domain name is to be included for all email addresses like gmail.com or hotmail.co.jp
- Names cannot have a prefix, for example, Mr.
- Include the country code for all phone numbers.
Here is an image of how your CSV file should look with the required columns:
For Custom Combination List, you can select different audiences to combine into one audience.
- Once you have selected the audience for your list type, choose the Membership Duration (number of days someone stays in this audience) and hit save. Your Audience list is now created.
To attach the remarketing list to the campaign, simply go to the Campaign-> Audience Tab. Next Click on How they have interacted with your business and Select the list that you want to apply and hit save.
About Targeting And Observation Settings:
How To Track The Performance?
To evaluate the performance you can go to the Audience tab and check the clicks, impressions, conversions column (as seen in the image below). You can further segment the report by day, Device, etc.
As you may know by now, Remarketing Google Ads is a great way to keep your website, services, products in front of people who didn’t convert the first time they visited your website. By customizing your ad copy and bids to the highly specific audience you’re going after, it can show a tremendous return to your business.
Hopefully, this post has given you some ideas about google ads remarketing and how to use it. You can create a list and start applying it to your campaign.